Research ScientistDo your ambitions match ours?
Genius Foods is a dynamic business with ambitious growth plans with the aim “To be the Global Brand Leader in great tasting gluten free bakery”.
We are developing our own unique culture through the “Genius Way” with our consumers, products and people at the heart of everything we do.
We are now have an exciting opportunity for a Research Scientist to join the Research and Product team at our largest bakery in Bathgate, but travel to Genius Hull and other UK and International travel as required.
As a vital member of the Product & Research Development team, the Research Scientist will lead the Genius Research programme on ingredients, supporting strategic external partnerships (suppliers; research bodies; co manufacturing) to provide Scientific competitive edge to Genius, by leveraging known capabilities and scouting for new (ingredients & process). Key challenges include understanding technology & process impact on Ingredients functionality, and ensuring research findings and breakthrough process and/or ingredient functionality solutions are embedded in global Innovation strategy to enable Genius to retain its market leading position.
The Research Scientist will be responsible for:
• Design & lead the Genius Research programme on Ingredients to build ingredient scientific knowledge.
• Independently develops and executes experimental plan to generate critical science insights and intellectual property (IP)
• Define technical requirements for gluten-free bakery applications, ensure in-depth understanding of ingredients functionality & interactions. Scan literature for new ideas for application in gluten-free bakery.
• Ability to leverage category/technology-specific ingredient expertise and apply breakthrough thinking to deliver new ingredient capability to gluten free systems. Develop specific, innovative and unique Functional ingredients solutions to support innovation, quality improvement and/or savings projects to create a step-change in Genius capability and increase competitiveness within the global category.
• Liaise with strategic partners (Suppliers, research bodies & internal team) to define platform and forum for developing and leveraging ingredients knowledge. In conjunction with Head of R&D, identify and protect Genius IP, and define external research and publication strategy.
• Define, direct and/or conduct ingredient functionality experimentation, statistically interpret results and suggest scientifically sound next steps (with appropriate assistance and support). Carry out scale up experiments, where appropriate to pilot scale and main plant, (with appropriate assistance).
Knowledge, Experience & Qualifications
• Masters Degree in Food Science, Technology or Specific Ingredients Research qualification/experience (Required)
• Minimum 2 years’ experience in Research/Scientific organisation, or within FMCG Food company in a Scientific/Food research role (Required)
• Food manufacturing & NPD experience within FMCG food company (Desirable)
• Bakery Expertise (Desirable)
• Knowledge of Food Manufacturing Standards and ingredient technical requirements
• Management experience (projects and/or team)
If you are ready for your next challenge, please forward your CV and covering email outlining why you are the “candidate of choice” for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org
Full Job Specification available on request.