Warm Salad of Chicken Livers, Bacon, Egg and Croutons
This salad is spectacular to look at and makes the most delicious, light starter or main course. The crisp, golden croutons, made with White Genius Gluten Free Bread, complement the warm chicken livers perfectly.
At a glance
- Recipe created by
- Serves four
This recipe uses
- For the dressing:-
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- A generous pinch of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 level tablespoon of freshly chopped tarragon
- For the salad:-
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 110g/4oz smoked streaky bacon, cut across into thin strips
- 4 slices of white Genius Gluten-Free Bread, cut into 1cm cubes
- 225g/8oz chicken livers, trimmed and cut in half
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced on the diagonal
- 1 small frisee lettuce, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 bunch watercress, washed and stems removed
- 1 belgian endive, broken apart and washed
- 4 medium eggs boiled for 8 minutes, peeled and cut in half, lengthways finely chopped parsley
Preheat the oven to 180’C.
In a large bowl, mix together the mustard, red wine vinegar, salt and three grinds of black pepper. Whisk in the olive oil to form a thick dressing then stir in the chopped tarragon.
Spread the diced bread over the base of a roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil and lightly season with salt. Bake in preheated the oven for 10 minutes or until crisp and golden. Keep warm in a low oven
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan and fry the bacon until crispy. Lift the bacon out of the pan with a slotted spoon into an ovenproof dish. Keep warm in the oven.
Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in the frying pan. Once hot, add the chicken livers, season with salt and pepper and sauté over a medium heat until lightly browned but still pink inside. Add the spring onions and cook for another 30 seconds.
Toss the prepared salad leaves in the mustard and tarragon dressing and divide between 4 dinner plates.
On each salad, arrange two halves of egg and sprinkle on the warm croutons, bacon and chicken livers and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately.